A small section of the shore and beach in the Kapiti district, which is located 50 kilometres north of New Zealand's capital city, Wellington. The Kapiti shore line extends for 30 kilometres along the coast.
In the early 1800’s, the Maori Chief, Te Rauparaha brought his people to settle in the area. In time small Maori communities were established and clustered along the beaches. At the end of the 18th century European whalers and sealers traded with the inhabitants living in this part of the coastline. Commercial trading included a flax trade with the Maori people.
In the background, behind this shoreline is the settlement and town of Paraparaumu with a population of over 26,000. In the early days most of this district consisted of swamp and sand dunes. In 1858 horse drawn stagecoaches travelled through here, using the beaches as roads.